Wednesday 22 May - Workshop Day
A curated program of in-depth workshops and masterclasses on tourism and business skills, growth markets, and insights to take your tourism business to the next level.
Please note: Program subject to change!
Click on the title for more information on the speaker and their session.
8.30 Registrations & Welcome Coffee
9.00 - 10.30 Workshop 1 (Choose between)
- Ali Uren (Kiikstart)
Planning to Deliver Exceptional Experiences - Getting the back of house right
- Amanda Gordon (For the People)
No Place Like Home - Why Honest Regional Branding starts with Local Engagement
- Meg Coffey (Coffey & Tea)
Social Media & Tourism. The Latest
- Emilie Burgess (The Athlete's Kitchen)
A little bit of chocolate
10.30 Morning Tea with thanks to Department of State Growth
11.00 - 1.30 Market Masterclasses
- Rapid fire 40 minute briefings from the experts on the state of play of some of Tasmania's fastest growing visitor markets:
Round 1 (Choose between)
- Families -Adapting to the growth of the Family travel market to Tasmania
Amy Joseph (Tassie4Kids)
- OTAs - Getting the most out of your OTA Partnership
Greg Freeman (Expedia Group)
- Youth & Backpackers
Kristy Carstairs (Tourism Australia)
Round 2 (Choose between)
- Business Events - Sharing in the pie
Marnie Craig (Business Events Tasmania)
- Inbound - Where are the hot spots and the gold nuggets?
Jo Pincus (Australian Tourism Export Council)
Jill Abel (Australian Cruise Association)
12.30 - 1.30 Workshop Day Lunch with thanks to Knight Frank
1.30 - 3.00 Workshop 2 (Choose between)
- Elizabeth Anderson (NAB) & Rob Cameron (Collins SBA)
Your Amazing Vision - how to build it, how to fund it and how to live it!
- The Tourism Tasmania Research Team
Experience Seekers. Who they are, what they want and how to find them!
- Dewayne Everittsmith (nina-mina Tourism & Events)
Tasmanian Aboriginal Cultural Exchange
- Meg Coffey (Coffey & Tea)
Social Media & Tourism. The latest. (Repeated)
3.00 Afternoon Tea with Thanks to Drysdale
3.30 - 5.00 Workshop 3 (Choose between)
- Peter Walker (Cumulus Studio) & Emma Riley (Emma Riley & Associates)
Development and the Planning Scheme
- Dewayne Everettsmith (nina-mina Tourism & Events)
Tasmanian Aboriginal Cultural Exchange (Repeated)
- Todd Houstein (Sustainable Living Tasmania)
Practical & Profitable Ways to Improve Sustainability in Your Accommodation Business
- Becher Townshend & Brad Nowland (Font PR)
When Sh!t Happens. Staying calm in a PR crisis
5.00 Close of Day 1!
- Scrub Up, Glam Up (or hit the bar!) before making your way to the Star Theatre for Enchanted 2019: Cinema Killed the Vaudeville Star!
- McDermott's Coaches depart Country Club from 7pm, with pick-ups at CBD Hotels.
Thursday 23 May - Business Sessions
A bumper program of industry leaders, tourism gurus and inspirational speakers from across Tasmania, interstate and overseas.
7.30 Early Morning Heart Starter!
For those staying in-house, start your day right, with your choice of two free early morning activities to put you in the right frame of mind for a big day of inspiration, intel and insights:
- Hit the fairway and tune-up your drive with Country Club's resident golf pro, Bryce Gorham; or
- Find your conference Zen with a Yoga class in the Country Club fitness centre.
- Gear and instruction will be provided for both activities - just bring yourself!
8.30 Registrations & Welcome Coffee
- Arrive nice and early for a great seat and an early start!
9.00 Opening Session: Defining Amazing.
- Daniel Leesong - Chairman, TICT
Welcome & Setting the Scene
- Will Hodgman MP - Premier; Minister for Tourism, Hospitality & Events
Official Opening and State Budget Report (Via Video)
- The HostPlus Opening Key Note Address:
Brett Torossi - Developer, Avalon Retreats; Chair, Tasmanian Heritage Council; Director, Tourism Tasmania
Your Tasmanian Experience: Making it Happen
- John Fitzgerald & Emma Terry - CEO & CMO, Tourism Tasmania
Tourism Tasmania Update
10.30 Morning Tea with Thanks to Steadfast TasWide
11.00 Our global outlook
- Adele Labine-Romain - National Travel, Hospitality and Services Lead, Deloitte Access Economics
The Outlook for Australian Tourism
- Special Guest:
Prof. Lesley Hughes - Contributing Councillor , Climate Council
Icons at Risk: Tourism and Climate Change
- Andrew Wright Co-Owner, Calypso Star Charters
Ecotourism Experiences. Balancing conservation and commercialism
12.30 NAB Tasmanian Tourism Conference Day Lunch
- With thanks to NAB, this is Country Club's opportunity each year to dazzle us! A stand-up luncheon of Tasmanian produce designed for networking and refreshing for the afternoon ahead!
Breakout 1 (Choose between)
- Jason Little - For the People
Forever West of Centre: Building a Brand for Tasmania's West Coast
- Archana & Tim Brammall - Sweetbrew Espresso Bar
Coffee.. it's importance in the whole 'experience' journey
- Jason Jacobi - Tasmanian Parks & Wildlife Service
Sharing Amazing - What is new within our Parks and Reserves
Breakout 2 (Choose between)
- Charlie Phillips - Queenstown Resort College, and Lisa Punshon - Drysdale
From Queenstown to Queenstown
- Michael Mihajlov - Cruise Ships Australia
Making Tasmania Australia's premium cruising destination
- Clair & Scott Crowley - The Good Scout
Revolutionising Accessible Travel
Breakout 3 (Choose between)
- Amanda Aitken, Department of State Growth
Drive Journeys. Making touring cool again.
- Alice Hansen,
Influencing the influencers
- Leigh Carmichael, Dark Lab
3.00 Afternoon Tea with thanks to Juicy Isle and Hartz
3.30 - 500 A quiet little... afternoon with some tourism superstars!
We're starting knock-off drinks early, putting the feet up and spending the afternoon with three of the best minds in the tourism business about what they have learnt about the creation, innovation, and execution of Amazing Experiences.
- Howard Cearns - Co-Founder, Little Creatures Brewing Co.
'It's about the little things. The Little Creatures Brewing Story'
- Charlie Phillips - CEO, Queenstown Resort College
Is the Grass really Greener? Insights from across the ditch.
- 2019 Legends of Australian Tourism Address with thanks to Cumulus Studio.
Dr. Ken Chapman - Founder, Cairns Skyrail
The Skyrail Story.
5.00pm We're done!
- Hit the bar or hit the road - either way, do it responsibly!